Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Laborious Labor Day

On Sunday afternoon, we headed back up to Bass Lake. You may be wondering why, since we've been home only a short time. Well, my dearest husband...ehhmm... got a ticket on Hwy 99 during the summer. Rosie and I were not along for that ride. He was going just a "yittle" too fast on the 99 pulling a trailer full of stuff for camp. Because of his commercial driver's license, he had to appear in court in the LOVELY little town of Lamont, off of the 99 on Tuesday. We made lemonade out of our 400 dollar lemon and enjoyed some fun activities at the lake...
We relaxed, spent time with friends, and enjoyed glimpses of fall that we will never see in San Clemente. If you sense a little bitterness in my writing, it's because I'M SO READY for summer to be over! I know, feel sorry for me because I live in San Clemente. I'm schlepping my boxes of ceramic pumpkins, fall leaf wreaths, and pumpkin spice candles from the garage while our neighbors walk by in their bikinis on their way to the beach. I'm just ready for fall.

The main event on Monday was to check out the Peddler's Fair. In my memories from childhood, this was a magical bi-annual event where the streets of Oakhurst were closed off to traffic and there were hundreds of booths selling wonderful handmade treasures and tasty treats. One might even be able to trade a hotdog in exchange for a pet turtle. Really. This happened. Now, the Peddler's Fair has been moved to a dusty parking lot in Coarsegold, and the whole thing resembles a big rusty yard sale. There were a few treasures to be had, but certainly no hotdog-for turtle trading going on. It truly was charming in its own way.

Rosie checked out an authentic TeePee.

.....and posed for a picture with "Sunny."

..... and searched for treasures with Daddy and Wrigs.
.... and checked out the finger puppets with Mama.
.... and goofed around a little, too.



We also ate at Danny's Pizza..... twice. Don't judge me. I'm pregnant and my family does whatever I say when it comes to food.
 We ate there once for dinner and then again for delicious turkey sandwiches the next day. We did get to enjoy a home cooked meal by our favorite chef, Joyce Mueller and co. but, we also stocked up on our always-craved-Danny's Pizza.




We searched for baby deer roaming the property. We saw 2 baby spotted fawns with their mama. 

And as if our escapades in Bass Lake were not enough of silver lining in our weekend, Mario Andretti,  my husband, was shown traveling mercies (literally) and walked away from his court date with no ticket and no fine! His CHP officer didn't show up! No file in the cake needed! Hurray!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

What a great tale Heather! Looks like you had a great time :)

Blog Archive