Monday, March 17, 2014

December.. is it warm in here or is it just me?


What do you get when you combine a busy family, full time jobs, new adventures and plenty of fun? A December blog post in March! No apologies. Just the pictures. But first, my long overdue birthday letter to my Sadie William, 4 years old. 

Dear Sadie,
Today as we walked home from preschool, I must have asked too many questions. You looked up at me wearing this hilarious palm tree print hat with messy braids that I think I did on Tuesday and said, "Mom, I'm done telling. I can't talk to you right now."
Oh, ok. I like quiet walks.
But you know what, Sadie? I totally get it and I admire your strength to say so!
Strong one.
That's one of the many words I use to describe you at 4. You're strong. You're small in stature but you hold your own. You know who you are and what you want. This year of growth has brought on some sass... oh, mercy are you sassy. Dad bought you this pink snow hat that you pretty much rocked for 3 months straight.
Auntie Erin started call you Edith (from Despicable Me) and the nickname fit you to a T.
You. Go. Girl.
Other words that I use to describe you at 4 are: sensitive, wicked smart, funny, helpful, cooperative, tender, brave, kind and gentle. 
And the list goes on and on and on. 
You love preschool this year and your teachers, Mrs. Langley and Mrs. Shepherd. You like to ride the bikes, write your name, swim and tickle. You love to play outside and anything that includes a ball: basketball, soccer, catch and "bollyball." You love to do puzzles, color and play Memory. It's your favorite. We play it so much that I play it in my sleep but I always lose. Always. You're so good... and also I can't help but let you win. You love to run from place to place... it's your favorite mode of transportation, actually.... usually after shouting,
"wanna race?"
 When we're at the park, the swings are your first pick and you also love the slides.
I love to watch you make friends... you do it easily. Whether we're at the park or the beach, you'll find someone just your size and say, "wanna play with me?" Everyone always say yes. How could they say no? Playing with your cousins brings you pure joy and you love your Papa and Mimi and all of your aunts and uncles. Wrigley is also one of your best buddies.
You feed him and love to roll around with him.
You make us laugh. When we take Rosie to school and pick her up in the afternoon, we cross a pedestrian bridge over the 5 freeway. You'll often stand on the overpass and pump your little fist (whole body) wildly to get the semis to honk their horn.
They always do... again, how could they say no?
Our biggest battle is your hair. You hate to have your hair brushed. Hate is an understatement. I've developed a point system to overcome this obstacle.
Lies.
The agreement that you and I have come to is to basically never brush it. Ever. You get out of the bath and I sort of try to touch the brush to your head like a fairy godmother with a magic
wand... and then we put it in braids and leave them... all week. 
I'm considering dreadlocks.
You are extraordinary, Sadie William. You are such an incredible little girl. You have a huge heart. You're full of compassion, empathy and gratitude with a good dose of discernment... even for a 4 year old. May you always know that your are infinitely loved... by your family and a Perfect God that created you. He provides Love, Joy and Freedom that never run out. I can't wait to watch you experience more and more of this as you grow older.  It's the best adventure.
I'm so blessed to be your mama, Sadie.  We all love you so much. What a gift you are to this family.
I love you deeper than the Grand Canyon and higher than the Giantest Giant Sequoia.

Happy Birthday... 3 months in.















1 comment:

Erin Welch Hunt said...

Sadie. Dude. We love you so much! Your momma is such a good writer!

Blog Archive