Warning: If you're easily nauseated, do not read this post.
I'm a sympathetic vomiter.... or a vomit wimp. I dry heave for days if I hear it or smell it. If a student threw up in my classroom when I was teaching, the janitor would find me curled up in a ball under my desk with my hands over my ears humming the Star Spangled Banner. I was a mess as a kid on the ski school bus up to Badger Pass every Friday. Tea Cups at Disneyland? No thanks. Not because I'm afraid I will get sick, but because I'm afraid someone else will.
I remember having a conversation with my mom at some point before I had kids:
Me: "What am I going to do if my kids ever throw up? I'm going to totally freak out."
Mom: "No you won't. It's different when your own kids are sick."
Guess what? She was right. By the grace of God, I'm not bothered... at all. I can scoop up a vomit covered Eckert child with not so much as a gag. I can hold hair back and rub backs, no problem. There are a lot of things that I suck at when it comes to being a mom. But, I'll take it as a gift from God that (today) I don't suck at the throw up.
Thanks, Lord, for the gift of being a mommy. Thanks for the learning and growing. I'll take it, vomit and all.
PS We did have another lovely weekend in Bass Lake prior to vomit fest 2011. Weekend pictures to follow!!
4 comments:
Oh, how I your honesty! I'll be praying for health in your home! And some long naps.
Oh Heather, I'm so sorry. It was just lovely seeing you guys,though. Thanks for the effort. Hope that sweet lil' bug is up-and-at-'em soon.
I blame myself. I. Am. So. Sorry. Seriously. Love you.
Rosie get better and come ride your bike with me, PLEASE!
Post a Comment