Thursday, November 18, 2010

Shoeboxes

We went last night to church to assemble our boxes for Operation Christmas Child through Samaritan's Purse. I've packed boxes for many years now, but this year was so different. Rosie and I have been talking at great lengths about children in other parts of the world and even right here in our community that don't have the things that they need. As you can imagine, it's quite a conversation to have with a 3 year old... but I think she gets the idea. We spent time shopping for "our kids" a boy and a girl ages 5-9. Rosie decided that the girl would like lip gloss and Carebears and the boy most certainly needed Cars socks and a yellow Hotwheel. I'd offer something I thought might be good to put in the box and Rosie would say, "No, Our Girl doesn't like that." It seemed much more personal this year. We brought all of our items last night to church and put them together in boxes. We wrote "our kids" a note and told them a little about ourselves on a form letter supplied by OCC.
After being prompted, Rosie decided that her favorite color was black.
The note also asked us why we loved Jesus.
Rosie thought for a minute and said, "I don't really love Jesus tonight."
OH GREAT!! I have a hard time even typing those words! I feel like I may get struck with the plague.. or locusts.. or a flood...
Actually, I think My God can handle it :)
(I didn't write that down for "our kids" BTW.)
So we offered our small, small gift to "our kids" somewhere. I prayed for the little hands that would open the box; that these little ones would somehow be safe and warm and that their bellies would be full. I prayed that they would learn to read and write and would live meaningful lives. I prayed that they would find peace through Jesus and love others around them. I prayed that there would be someone in their lives who would relish every giggle and smile and supply plenty of hugs and kisses.
It's no different than the prayers I pray for my own little girls.
If you don't know anything about OCC or Samaritan's Purse, I encourage you to check out their website.









No comments:

Blog Archive